How to report foreign exchange gains and losses to CRA

Why read this?

You are a currency trader; have foreign-denominated securities; and/or own foreign currencies.

What to do

When to calculate gains or losses

  • CRA says a foreign exchange gain or loss happens when a transaction occurs — not when the currency’s value fluctuates while on deposit. Examples of transactions include when:
    • money is converted from one currency to another, or back into Canadian dollars;
    • foreign currency is used to make a purchase or payment; or
    • foreign currency is used to pay all or part of a capital debt.

Read More

Please Login to comment.
Statements and opinions expressed in articles, reviews and other materials herein are those of the authors; the editors and publishers.
While every care has been taken in the compilation of this information and every attempt made to present up-to-date and accurate information, we cannot guarantee that inaccuracies will not occur. FundPage, Inc. will not be held responsible for any claim, loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of any information within these pages or any information accessed through this site.
The content of any organizations' websites which you link to from are entirely out of the control of FundPage, Inc., and you proceed at your own risk. These links are provided purely for your convenience. They do not imply FundPage, Inc.’s endorsement of, or association with any products, services, content, information or materials offered by or accessible to you at the organization’s site.
All copyright and trademarks accessible via the links from are owned by the respective website owners, or their licensors.
FundPage shall also have the right to remove any contents posted at any time without cause as FundPage determines in its sole discretion.

My Community

My Friends